Monday, May 23, 2016

My Birthday Resolution - 'Love Thyself'

If I have to run through the snapshot of my life it is nothing more than ordinary, simple or mundane. Growing up in the city that never sleeps can be fun as well as challenging. You are exposed to competition at a very tender age and you gradually learn the tricks to sustain it by observing your family members, peers and everyone else around you who seem to be forever running a race with time and fighting a war for survival.

Contrary to the perceived personality of a typical Mumbaikar (of being self-centered) my upbringing happened in a rather different manner. Putting others before self is something I peculiarly learned from elders during my formative years and this became a distinct feature of my personality. Be it in my personal relationships or professional, I started doing things that made others happy irrespective of my own wants, needs or desires and I happily accepted it as a way of life strongly believing that my happiness lies in the happiness of others around me. Yes, it can be thoroughly fulfilling to lead a life that spreads smiles around but not at the cost of your own tears! Alas, I didn't realize this back then.

The roller-coaster ride of my life was at times on-track, at times off. Gathering experiences from failed friendships, bad career choices or inability to shrewdly fight workplace politics, I kept moving on. Like a good daughter who abides by all rules of the house I completed my masters, landed up a decent job, got married at the right time and got blessed with motherhood soon after. How else is a perfect life anyway? I was a happy daughter, wife, daughter in- law, mother as I did complete justice to all these roles - fostering values, nurturing and caring for my people. I took immense pride doing that; I still do, but with a slight twist. Just as the snake sheds its old skin for the sake of growth, I consciously tried to shed few aspects of my personality pretty much for the same cause; for my personal growth and elevation to become a better individual. All this became possible only when I decided to listen to myself before anyone else in the world, when I started paying attention to my own passions long lost or forgotten or simply put on a back-foot under the pretext of being too busy or being too old to pursue those anymore. It is little unfortunate that this realization dawned on me bit late; almost after over 30 years of my life; but like its said - Its better late than never.

Today I am as content as never before. I have found a new love in whom I confide my prettiest dreams or my ugliest nightmares, with whom I share my fears and inhibitions, my goals and desires and from whom I derive strength to overcome challenges and face each day with new energy, zeal and determination. I am so grateful to have found her and to unveil the special bond we share. Be it diligently following my fitness regimen, pursuing my favorite hobbies or helping me say a firm no when it is necessary; she inspires me, motivates me and brings out the best in me. She gives me the courage to stand up for myself and reinforces that its humane to not please everyone all the time and that I can live my life my way that too absolutely guilt-free.

Yes, 'SHE' is none other than me.

Its time I give her what she deserves - unconditional love, for she has dealt with secondary treatment all these years without any qualms or complains. On this birthday I pledge to take good care of her physical,emotional and social well-being. I promise I will never let her down, I will cherish the little girl that she has always been and treat her with all due respect and dignity..because she is worth it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.